I swear to never use molasses in anything ever again, except of course…if I’m making a gingerbread house, gingersnaps, or whatever other variation of a gingerbread cookie that there is. AND of course when it’s in brown sugar, I strangely don’t have a problem with it in that form. Molasses is just way way way way way way way too potent for my liking. When I smell it it gives me the goosebumps. When the aftertaste lingers in my mouth I get a headache. When I try to tell myself that it’s not that bad…it’s really just that bad. Ughck.
I was browsing the nifty 80/20 (she’s the closest thing to what I want to become, well that I’ve come across). I found her Quinoa Breakfast Bars and modified it slightly…it turned out great but the taste of molasses is almost permanent on my tongue. I tried to eat some toasted almonds, a few chips of chocolate, a couple pieces of meat, a couple blackberries, and a bunch o’ water to wash it away…but it’s not going anywhere. Help. Well…here it is. I think I’m going to keep the components of my Cranberry Almond Protein Cookies and fuse it with her recipe.
Cranberry Almond Breakfast Bars (6 servings)
- 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/3 c. applesauce
- 2 pkg. or 7 g. Truvia
1 T. molasses
- 1 egg
1 t. almond extract
1/2 t. vanilla extract & 1/2 t. almond extract (or more)
- 2/3 c. cooked quinoa
- 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 1/3 c. dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 c. slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 scoop ON Any Whey Protein Powder
- 1 T. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- Preheat oven to 375F. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together applesauce, Truvia, egg, and the extracts.
- Slowly whisk the flour mixture into the liquid mixture. Fold in whey protein, quinoa, oats, cranberries, and almonds.
- Press batter into sprayed loaf pan and sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 12 minutes
* The chocolate chips can either be folded into the batter, melted & drizzled over the bars, or sprinkled on top.
– – –
Okay, I lied. I always speak too soon about these things, LOL. I had some at work today (03/09) and they were not bad at all. It could have used a little more almond flavor, but the molasses was bearable. I still don’t want to make it with molasses next time.