Happy St. Patrick’s
The highest PUFF PASTRY of my life, LOL!
Beef & Guinness Pie via E (2 servings)
- 1.5 lbs. boneless beef chuck, cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 T. all purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 2-3 T. canola oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 T. water
- 1 T. double concentrate tomato paste
- 1 c. Guinness
- 1 c. beef broth
- 1 T. worcestershire
- 1 t. dried thyme
- puff pastry
– – –
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine flour, salt, and black pepper in a plate. Very lightly, but thoroughly, coat the cubes of chuck– being sure to shake off any excess flour.
- Heat canola oil to almost a smoke, and brown the cubes of chuck in 2-3 batches. Set the browned chuck in a separate bowl on the side.
- Add onion, garlic, and water to the same browning pan. Saute for about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- To the pan, add back the beef and its juices, then the broth, Guinness, worcestershire, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
- Braise in the stew in the oven for at least 1.5 hours.
- After the beef has tenderized and the stew has thickened, transfer the stew into ramekins. Brush the edge of a 5″x5″ puff pastry with an egg wash to help adhere the pastry to the ramekin. Also, lightly brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake the pie at 450F for 20 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes!